Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Blogiversary 5.0

Holy crap, guys. Happy Earth Day! You know what this means, right?

Earth Day just coincidentally happens to be our blogiversary! Perfect, right?


I love that there's a connection between our eco-friendly attempts and the ol' blog. Wow. Now, it really IS old. Five years is forever in the world of the web.

Today, I thought I'd just chat a bit about this place that I call home. Meg, Acting Out. Meg Acts Out. Whatever.

I haven't converted to Wordpress. I haven't linked the site up to a unique URL. I haven't actively monetized.

I haven't taken professional head shots. I haven't glammed the place up. I've thought about getting a DSLR camera, but it's just as much to get awesome pictures of my family as it would be to enhance the blog.

I've started posting a little less (I used to do MWF). I've even started to worry less about our number of hits (although I do find myself growing excited when I hit a certain modest number). I have no cares about whether we're SEO-aligned or not.

It's not that I don't want to put the effort into all these things. As a matter of fact, it's a dream of mine to focus on the blog and make it what it deserves to be.

But, instead, I've taken a small step back. I'm kind of taking after my husband, The Dorky Daddy, only posting about topics that I enjoy writing about, when I feel like doing so. We're slowly but surely converting to Wordpress (but, really, no hurry). I'm not accepting offers that simply sound like a commercial or don't align to my values.

Ultimately, y'know what I'm doing? I'm enjoying it. I'm blogging when I feel like it. I'm not beating myself up when I decide to spend my night goofing around with my little boy or watching a great movie instead of getting that fluffy blog post set for the next morning. I'm valuing my outlet and using it just as that. And. It's. Awesome.

Will I suddenly get a spark to organize the place into a more user-friendly, resource-based space? Will I start posting daily? Will I ever make a career out of sharing my ideas for living a simply fun life? I have no idea. If I don't, it's fine. If I do? Incredible!

But, in the meantime? It's just fun.

So, on this fifth (!) blogiversary, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for sticking around and stopping by. It means the world that you're reading, whether you've followed for years, just check in from time to time, or you just found my small section of the world.

Now, who wants some birthday cake? ;-) 

2 comments:

  1. Happy blogiversary! I've never been too good about posting, but recently took a break from blogging (reading and writing). Now, I'm not sure where to go with it so I'm winging it. I don't want to give it up completely though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Christine! I noticed your break. :-) I'm definitely not quitting (and currently can't foresee it anytime soon!), but am feeling a lot more relaxed about posting and not feeling obligated. Do what you're comfortable with, lady! I'll still be reading! :-)

      Delete