Monday, April 28, 2014

Summer Plans

Howdy! Now that the snow has sufficiently melted and we're experiencing an honest-to-goodness springtime, I feel it's safe to let my mind wander to the wonder that is S-U-M-M-E-R! Last year, I laid out a whole plan of what I hoped to accomplish and a few little "first timer" milestones I hoped to have fun with Hadley with. This year is really no different, although a lot of the stuff we'll do isn't a milestone; just "for fun."

The biggest difference this year is Hadley. He's so different, guys, it's crazy. Last year, he was afraid of grass, wasn't walking (hardly mobile at all, comparatively speaking), and couldn't communicate. This year, he's got a couple dozen (probably more) words and several gestures he uses to get his point across, walks/runs/trips/falls down/gets up/runs again, and enjoys dirt and grass and picking flowers (ie picking the heads of flowers off) and generally discovering the world around him with zeal. It's exhaustingly fun.

So, you'll notice some repeats from last year's list. However, I think the actual experiences will be insanely different -- for us AND for Hadman. Should be fun!


A touch more streamlined than last year, but still with a bit of an explanation (I'll try to keep it concise):

1. We've all (adults, that is) got a lil' family winter pudge going on. I need to be less vampirey/anti-social. Hadley loves bugs and dogs and dirt and saying "hi!!!" to big kids and attempting to run into the road. All ideal reasons to walk. A hike or two would be awesome, too.

2. T-2 1/2 months and counting until the monkey turns 2 years old (sniff, sniff). It looks like we've landed on a theme, which I'll share soon. Our ultimate goal is to keep it low-key yet fun (I can't NOT decorate, and I can't NOT have a theme...it's just not me. And he's just too darn special.) It's important for me to remember that we'll have varied ages, and only a couple of little ones, so it's not like we need much entertainment or giveaways or games. If you're interested in seeing what I'm thinking, check out my Pinterest board for what I'm thinking. (Some are from last year, too. Speaking of which, here's a link to how last year's turned out!)

3. We went last year, and it was a blast. This year, Hadley recognizes animals, can point them out, makes tons of cool noises, and is generally a funner version of Hadley 1.0, so unless a crazy meltdown occurs, this should be awesomesauce.

4. Vague, no? We're nailing it down, but Mama gets the itch to move every now and again. This could be one place far away. It could be several close-to-home trips. Who knows?

5. I've started bringing home some books for Hadley from my school library lately, but I thought it'd be fun to see if there are some family-related library events at our local book haven. If not, it's cool. I'd just like to get there with him more often so he realizes there's more than the overstuffed bookshelf in his bedroom. Plus, Mama can do a little more reading, too.

6. The sooner, the better! Maybe two!!

7. To simplify things, we're not growing from seed this year. I've already made a garden plan, so at least I know what we need to go and buy. The Easter Bunny DID get the munchkin a little kit to grow one's own basil plant, along with a cool little metal watering can and a mini trowel and cultivator, so he'll hopefully be digging around, too. Yay, wormies! Oh, and I live in upstate NY, so it's not really advisable to plant much pre-Memorial Day.

8. I'm not making any grandiose "I'm going to finish this monstrous project!!!" statements. Instead, I'm going to take a few of Hadley's naptimes a week to get outside (or in the basement) to work on some organizing...and cleaning...and maybe painting...and stuff. My grandpa was a putterer, so it's important to me to try to connect with that and have a hand in the care of the house.

9. Grilling, yes. Setting up and USING the outside table to eat, yes. Getting away from the TV set (regardless of how awesome Dick Van Dyke reruns may be), yes. I'm also hoping that our gate will fit at the top of our deck, so munchkin can eat up there with us and it'll be a low-stress environment for all involved. Oh, and I'd also love to have a picnic. With pickles. 'Cuz monkey loves a good pickle.

10. Don't care where, this just must happen. We may have a picnicking day at a state park with my sis and her little one, so that may be our chance.

11. Last year, I mentioned writing a children's book. I've got the ideas behind several simmering (and even outlined), but getting any of it on paper has remained elusive. This summer, I hope to change that. All I need is the focus...um, and an incredible artist to illustrate it. (I'm also mulling over chapter book. Loves me a good historical fiction.)


What're you looking forward to most about summertime, summertime, sum sum summertime, summertime? Am I jumping the gun thinking about summer when it's not even June yet? I think this school year has blown by so quickly (and Hadley has grown so much, so fast) that I'd rather take all the time that we can to hold on!

No comments:

Post a Comment