Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Chobani vs. Stonyfield

I've stated my love for Chobani Greek yogurt here a long, long time ago. I've used it in tons of recipes (especially as a thick replacement for sour cream and in dips/dressings) and used to eat it religiously everyday as a snack. Since it's a local business doing huge things, I've generally been proud of the work they've done.

Since we've gone mostly organic, however, and now that Hadman's a toddler (ie it's cheapest/easiest to buy generally the same products), all of our milk products are made of organic milk. Any time I'm cooking with a yogurt, I'd rather it be whole milk since he'll be eating it, too (and there are plusses to whole vs. lowfat), although we "adults" still eat Greek.

So, we had to do some soul-searching on our yogurt choices.


That said, Chobani isn't the best in the world as far as its ingredient transparency. While I try not to be down about such things, especially when they're providing so many opportunities for local workers (although I have heard mixed reviews on working there), the fact that their cows are fed GMO ingredients (and, for that matter, are raised in the "traditional" less than humane way), I had mixed feelings about feeding the stuff to my son. Plus, Greek yogurt, by nature, is lowfat or 0% fat. Not the greatest thing for a youngin'.

So, we made a jump to Stonyfield. We were already buying their milk (since it's from humanely-treated, mostly grassfed cows), so it was an easy decision...once I let the guilt of not purchasing Chobani fall off my shoulders.

Stonyfield makes all kinds of yogurts, but we purchase the regular (plain is always in the fridge; once in awhile vanilla, but since it has added organic sugar, I limit this), the Greek cups for work (I love the "super fruits" flavor with pomegranate and Dave's a blueberry guy), and half the time I either buy Hadley the baby cups (way less ingredients than the toddler or kid versions, and less sugar) or make little take-along cups with my small Ball jars. Apparently we eat a lot of yogurt. ;-)

Oh, and let's just say we were shopping at a different store last week in a hurry and I found our Greek cups for $1 apiece. Let's just say I literally jumped back a couple of feet and squealed amidst the very busy dairy area, I was just that excited. Yes, folks. A proud moment for my husband, I'm sure.

Yes, it's usually kind of expensive, but not by much. Almost every week, I go onto Stonyfield's website (that's actually a link to sign up for special offers) to see if there are any printable coupons, and I receive the occasional email offer to print. Let's just say that I had a coupon that was expiring the next day and I didn't have use for the item, so when I saw a woman picking up that very item I stopped her and handed the coupon over. She couldn't believe it and kept saying "Are you sure? Are you sure??" Yep. I'm sure. Spread the organic love, folks.

Oh, and if, by rare chance, I find organic no-name yogurt at Aldi, you know I grab every last carton I can find. Cheap + organic = gold. (Probably why that lady was so shocked I was handing her a coupon.)

I feel super happy, though, knowing that the cows that have made our yogurt aren't pumping GMOs (through their corn-based feed...naughty corn), antibiotics, growth hormones, and pesticides into our milk products. The fact that they're generally grassfed also helps me to sleep soundly (as soundly as one can with a toddler nearby). 


What about you? Are you a yogurt eater? Whole milk? Or Greek? What brand wins your own yogurt showdown?   

1 comment:

  1. Yogurt grosses me out, but hubby loves it. He switches off between chobani & brown cow. Brown Cow doesn't have enough flavors to keep him happy, but it's much closer to what we try to eat. So he eats a mix. :)

    ReplyDelete