My current model is a Dell Inspiron 1520 that's over 5 years old. (Um, yep. It's time.) The caps lock is missing and there's a big ol' line down the middle of the screen (video card issue, I assume). Clunky, kinda warmer than I'd like, as slow as a...very slow dinosaur. It's pretty ghetto, and getting worse every time monkey spots it open.
So, I've finally decided that, for cost sake, I won't be getting a Mac; it's just not worth it to me right now when we've got other things we're saving for -- like a non-scratching post armchair for Mama to nest in every night. ;-) At least I've got ONE decision down.
Here are my wishes, oh fairy godmother:
- A good amount of storage and speed
- A slot for a USB port (and a DVD burner, if possible, but it's not a deal breaker)
- Under $500
- Does it HAFTA have Windows 8??? Windows XP is and always will be my BFF.
- A good size screen (~13" or more-ish) that's not TOO heavy
- Photo editing (I love my PicMonkey, but I'm not sure I can live without my Photoshop and Publisher...but maybe I can be persuaded) -- so I don't think any Chromebooks would be viable. Right? (No, really, I'm asking. I'm no expert.) I've been searching around and know there are some Chrome apps that might replace this...but I'm apprehensive. I guess this could be another non-deal breaker but it reminds me of the time my husband opted for the pared down version of his car (meaning no car starter and no cruise control...wait, what? Yes. Cruise control. That's just not safe NOT to have).
Anyhoo. Too unrealistic? I'm not a slave to brand names, necessarily, but a good review is kind of a must. And your opinions would help greatly, too!
A few that I'm
Contestant #1, c'mon down!!! Toshiba Satellite (we'll leave out the numbers 'n stuff for anonymity) is a super-cheap date at around $400. While Toshy's got some of our basic "turn ons" -- such as two USB 2.0 ports (do I NEED a 3.0??), a 15.6" screen without super heft, a DVD drive, good battery power -- it's got 3 GB of ram vs. competitor's 4 and may be a bit sluggish. Ultimately, she's what we call okay to look at, but not sure how much substance is lurking beneath. Is she shallow and ditzy? Is she witty and fun, worth taking a deeper look at? No idea! But, isn't that half the fun of looking?
|Toshy the Toshiba Satellite|
All images from PCMag.com
For Acer #2, coming in at just around $500, seems to have the positive bells and whistles of her sister (along with an awesome review for the price), but with added awesomeness such as a DVD burner, a lighter weight (for the same size sceen), a USB 3.0, and greater storage. Hmm. Certainly enough to put us in a pickle, huh?
Va va voom...
...yet so strange.
'Cuz it's my game and I said so, that's why. ;-)
Here's the infamously sexy HP (I almost came up with a horrific Dating Game name for that one...) Pavilion. There's something to be said for looks, considering how much time you spend staring at your computer in a given day. (And let's just say I'm sick of the view currently.) From an aluminum chassis to the ports to the storage...simply put, this has it all. The only thing I'm iffy on (and this is the thing that has me considering a higher price of $650 in the first place) is that its metal look has a navy blue hint to it. Very unique. And, of course, my current laptop is navy blue...and I've generally hated that it wasn't silver (or black, if it has to be). I might be able to rationalize to myself that it's become a wicked awesome neutral lately and be done with it.
You sexy thing
(You sexy thing you)
The last wildcard in our game is Sony Vaio. I'm 50/50 about this brand name, so if anyone has some super wonderful things to say, speak up or forever hold your peace. The fact that PC Mag can't rave enough about it (even saying that they had to keep double-checking the price, $629.99, considering all that you get out of the machine) speaks volumes...but I'm still not sold.
As Monty Hall once said..."Let's pick Meg a computer!!!" (Clearly never said that.) And I'd love to hear what your favorite brands are in the comments. What do you swear by? Anything I've mentioned, or should I check out something I haven't mentioned? Thanks so much for your help, guys!!!