Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Coat Closet 2.0

Alternate title: Skeletons Scarves in the Closet.

So, I cleaned this closet a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure that I've cleaned it since, but not for quite awhile. Liiiike...I didn't have to switch our coats out when the cold weather came around this year. Let's just blame it on the fact that parenting an infant was our priority over supah clean closets last year and move on, m'kay?

The issues with the "before" is mostly the pit of nothingness on the bottom, the fact that every time I put anything on the top shelf it fell back down immediately, and the sheer number of coats. SO. MUCH. CRAP. My breast pump (which we no longer need) was still in there...but it's not like you can even see it. Purses? A puffy vest? Scarves? Unused yoga mat? Those, we see. 



The top had a few issues, but was relatively quick compared to the rest of the hot mess going on.



The thing is, I sat in the living room for countless hours thinking about what a pain in the bum it was going to be to get this chore done. Hence, it sat unfinished. Isn't that how it usually works? I could've pulled a "put a favorite movie on and just pull everything out." But, regardless, I finally had a moment of clarity, realizing that it would actually be relatively simple enough to do, even with a little one running around. Not fun, mind you, but not hard.

So, I attacked the coats and scarves mercilessly. I couldn't get rid of too many jackets since our weather likes to flip flop a lot this time of year, but we did purge a couple. The scarves were another thing, though. The ones I don't use whatsoever, I put in a pile to donate. There are a couple that I'm on the fence about, so I'll keep a thumb on the situation and purge them as needed. It's a process.

Then, I turned my attention to the bottom business. Snow pants got hung on the Command hook I put up back in the day, purses got emptied (probably the lengthiest part of the job, but it was kind of entertaining finding two flash drives -- after buying a new one for myself for Christmas -- and notes and lists from several years ago) and flung in a tote in the basement or donated, and so on. That being said, one of my favorite yet busted-but-maybe-someone-will-like-it-anyway purses was donated, so I'm on the lookout for yet another. I've got a million medium-sized bags, but need a larger one that's easier for everyday; read: in which my lunch and water bottle will fit. A big style-factor and ability to match the almost constant brown or black that I wear to work is a must, as well. Sometimes cleaning makes you realize what you don't need, and what you REALLY, REALLY DO need.

Finally, I pulled out the step ladder and pulled out and reorganized the top shelf (namely, the two cheap little shelf thingies and the large fabric bin with long-since-used mittens, gloves, hats, etc.) It's nice to know where those random things I always find myself searching aimlessly for will be easily at-hand now. Oh, and not pelting me in the head when I open the door. That'll be nice.

Here's what it looks like now:



Those two metal hangers on the door were here when we moved in. They seem pretty old (maybe the '50s?), and I almost got rid of the one on top. Luckily, I didn't, since Dave got "into" old-style hats.  And, yes. The door closes easily again. Isn't that really the ultimate goal in life? To comfortably close a door? Or is that just me? *1,000 points for anyone who can name the picture on our calendar in the background, or at least the artist.*


Closed!

Speaking of finally getting on top of a dreaded task, let's just say that we've been spending a bit of time in the bathroom...and, no, we don't have the stomach bug. ;-) I'm not done (of COURSE!), but most of it looks finished, and that. Is. Exciting. Exciting enough to keep me motivated enough to finish the last couple of bits before, y'know, 2015.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda! I can't believe how "green" the pictures came out, though, LOL. Are you doing any good organizing lately?

      Delete
    2. Little by little . . I'm working on a bookshelf now, half filled with National Geographic magazines. I was thinking about posting a picture on my blog to ask what people thought - should I keep them? donate them? recycle them?

      Delete
    3. Hmm... Funny, my librarian side says to recycle them (weeding is king if you have no use for them), but my green/"at home" side suggests checking with your local library or nursing home to see if there's any interest there. Oh, after sorting through them, just in case. I hoard the mags that are worth keeping the whole issue (vs tearing out pages to keep in a binder). But that's just me! See what your readers think!

      Delete
    4. Yeah, I hate to just toss them, but a donation to a nursing home is a good compromise. :)

      Delete