Thursday, September 26, 2013

Reset Button

Since Dave started his wonderful new job in the world of PR (and, more recently, after having a health scare with Hadley), his perspective has changed...which means that our family perspective, too, has shifted. While I wish my schedule was more conducive to accommodating his new ideas, I'm generally ecstatic to see the changes.

His mind is far freer to explore the parts of life he had grown out-of-touch with. He's able to put his time and energy into his writing, but also researching healthy living ideas (sometimes even happening upon articles or websites that I had showed him a year or two ago that he didn't have the time or mental astuteness to look into), decor for his awesome new office, family activities, and more.

I've always loved my husband (obviously...well, maybe not obviously, but I'm saying it here -- I've always loved my husband!), but I hate, hate, hated what his previous job did to him. I didn't necessarily hate the job itself, but the fact that he was always beat, always on-call to fix problems or post to the web (or getting called in), always experiencing weird chest pains, always full of stress and anger and anxiety, rarely able to help out around the house (I tried my best to juggle cooking, cleaning, baby-bathing...his one joy of the day that I was glad for him to do was reading the baby his bedtime stories), rarely able to enjoy life...that, I hated.

But, with his new job, even if he tries to stay late, his co-workers will call him out and say that it's time to go home. *clouds part, angels sing* There's practically no way for him to over-work. It's beyond lovely.

So, with this newly-freed mind, here are a few ideas that he has happened upon...





These are all part of one topic in our conversation. The Chipotle commercial to which we're referring is this "Scarecrow" vid (which even has its own game app...yes, I downloaded it, although I simply lack the coordination to play games with a phone. It's a fact.) which evokes almost every emotion a person can have. Don't believe me? Check out this article. The guilt, anger and sadness is horrible...the ending, a little uplifting and inspiring that we can, possibly, make a difference in what we eat.

If only we had a Chipotle restaurant in our area. From there, we discussed other things that we can do since any chain restaurants (and a vast majority of the locally-owned ones) have deplorable ingredient sourcing practices. We also recently made the realization that the only places that are 24-hour around our joint are Wal-Mart (we don't go there) and McDonald's. When we needed a last-minute prescription for the baby, Dave had to drive 45 minutes away to finally get the stuff (all the local pharmacies closed EARLY...E-A-R-L-Y)!

The local eating website he shared was okay, but I still prefer localharvest.org (it's easier to search, has more information, and is just cleaner-looking). That's just how I feel. :-)

So, what's the take-away here? We're going to work on eating better...TOGETHER. It's not as much of an "I'll go grocery shopping and try to figure this thing out on my own because my husband's got more on his mind than bananas" situation (although there are crazy times of the week that I will head there on my own for a few of the essentials). Instead, he's going to help...and even *gasp* cook from time to time. *clouds part, angels sing*

 

Yaaaay, score! We didn't have much vacation-age going on over the summer since Dave was (all together now) leaving his job (and needed to give them numerous weeks, no vacation time to be used, to help out...worth it in the end, but the summer kinda sucked because of it for him). We usually take one Friday off to go visit Old Forge. They have an awesome farmers' market, then we hang out by the lake and walk around town doing touristy things, then finally eat at "The Old Mill" (or some other place like that).

So, while we've officially missed that train for the year, knowing that we can head up north to take in the autumn scenery (the Adirondacks ROCK for that) and have a casual time of it (read: if the baby melts down, it won't be in the middle of a nice restaurant or something) sounds like heaven to me.

(I'm also hoping that may be a gateway to finding some family-friendly hiking up north. *fingers crossed* Man, I hope the hubby's reading.)

Needless to say, I'm very much enjoying this new job situation. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment