Friday, November 7, 2014

Halloween Recap

My mind is totally heading towards Christmas (fully determined to have a low-stress, AWESOME holiday season this year), but I realized I should probably give a Halloween update before I forgot.

Because we all know I'm really, really good at forgetting. Like, expert.

The costumes came out, for the most part, great. Note that I said "costumes"...plural. Yep, Dave and I dressed up, too.


So, after all that talk of the awesome things Hadman could be, he still wouldn't give up the apple idea. Luckily, I dragged his apple hat (homemade by a sweet relative before he was born), bought a super cheap, bulky red sweatshirt (Goodwill #1), and glued a worm and "organic fuji #5464" sticker to it. Green corduroys and a small basket that looks exactly like an apple basket (Goodwill #2 - tied my own twine to it), and he was frickin' ecstatic. Like, he didn't care how horribly ghetto and abstract the entire thing was. Not a bit.

The night before Halloween, I decided to see what we could put together. I grabbed two plaid shirts (Goodwill #3 & #4...mine was more gingham, actually) and a pack of bandanas from Kmart and we were good. Jeans and two silly braids later, we were farmers. Or, as Dave liked to say, "Apple growers." Get it? We're growing an "apple" ...because our kid's an apple, ya see. *ahem*

Even layering our clothes for the chilly night still looked like farmers. Pretty neat!

So, anyhoo, this is how it all went down. Dave picked Hadley up early from his mom's house, we got the both of them all gussied up, and we sped carefully to my mom's house the town over. We went trick-or-treating (I appreciate that, although we got a couple of pieces of toddler-friendly candy, she "treated" him to animal crackers, some organic bear grahams, etc) and grabbed a slice of pizza and this picture before heading back home. Hadley and I went to a couple of houses while Dave handed out our treats.

I tossed Hadley in the car to go to my uncle's house (the man gives away FULL-SIZED CANDY BARS, people!) where Hadley did the perfect "trick-or-treat, Unca Mark, I wuv you!" recitation. Seriously, picture my heart jumping out of my chest, I was so proud of that little boy.

Then, we headed home, gave Had his own dinner and a few tastes of his "treats", and waited for Daddy before watching Charlie Brown.

Dudes. It was perfect.

Oh, and, for the record: Comic books + spider rings + glow-in-the-dark fangs (although they didn't seem to glow, no matter how much light I gave them) = HUGE SUCCESS!!! The kids didn't miss the candy one bit. #tealpumpkinsFTW

2 comments:

  1. We totally skipped trick or treating this year. We didn't go last year either. The weather was extremely uncooperative, but we did stay home, baked cookies, popped popcorn, and watched Beetlejuice. It was actually pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds perfect to me! :-) I hope that we can stick to the "only go to a few houses" tradition, then back home for popcorn and Charlie Brown. I also hope that Hadley keeps his dramatic gene choosing creative costumes. ;-)

      Delete