Monday, September 1, 2014

Falling for Fall

Hey, folks who read stuff online! Today's frickin' September 1st. SEPTEMBER, dudes and dudettes. So, while I'm by NO means looking forward to heading back to school (not whining but stating a fact: I am fraught with all sorts of anxiety at the thought of returning; I'll man-up soon after getting back into the swing of things), the paradox is kinda weird. That's because I super heart fall.

As long as I can remember, I've most loved the sweet but somber smell of decaying leaves, the necessity to throw a denim jacket on while enjoying a walk on the first crisp night, and cranking up the oven to help Mom whip up perfect apple pies or Grandma's famous soft molasses cookies. It's a thing of beauty, my friends.

So, of course I'm excited to continue my love affair with autumn, and to spread the love with my family. (Shh. Don't tell Dave. He thinks autumn and I are "just good friends", so let's keep it that way. Although, it's his fave, too, which is why we got married in October. Huh.)

As Hadman grows, EVERYTHING has become more of a fun, at times unpredictable adventure. Even the experiences he had last year for the first time (the year before, he was a brand new infant) that we all enjoyed giving him will be like new this year.

Here was his first autumn ever...





Here were a couple of experiences last year...






What's better than Vermont and an apple orchard in the fall? I mean, really. Nothing that I can think of.

And, thanks to Pinterest, here are a few of the goals of mine this year. I like to use these as guidelines and reminders of the things we love about the seasons, hopefully reducing the guilt factor when I don't check off every last one. Although, if I did, it wouldn't suck.




Most of these are self explanatory, but a couple need a bit of elaboration. Or maybe you don't care. But, just in case, here goes:

- I very rarely do lattes or purchased flavored stuff, so when I say pumpkin latte, I mean just one will do the trick. Just one pumpkin spice-flavored cup of caffeine, thanks.
- Pumpkin muffins. Pumpkin pancakes. Pumpkin cookies. Whatev. I'm not picky.
- Fly Creek Cider Mill near Cooperstown is a family tradition for me as long as I can remember. It's an awesome leaf-peeping trip in itself, but grabbing some overpriced cider and feeding their resident ducks complete the season. Totally.
- Vermont started as our honeymoon spot, but has turned into a fall family road trip. Fun!!
- Okay, a locavore date entails saving up, getting a sitter, and going to one of the few pricy-but-worth-it restaurants that serve locally-sourced gourmet food. We don't get many dates, so these are super special ones. Plus, fall flavors are incredible, am I right? You know I'm right. Pumpkin risotto? Get out.

Oh, and because I believe strongly in surrounding oneself with the cozy reminders of what makes us happiest, I'm a believer in seasonal decor. If you're into country kitsch, do it up. Antiques? Go for it. Since I'm the antiques-with-a-modern-twist girl, I'm working on finding a happy medium. Check out a couple of ideas (that still stand true) from last year:


The Fall Inspirations I Totally Heart
What I Attempted Last Year
A Fall Tableau (With Really Crappy Pictures)
What about you guys? What's your favorite season? Do you go all out? Or do you live it up every day of the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment