Friday, April 11, 2014

Food Revolution Day -- Again

It's that time again! Rollin' right around the corner, May 16th is Food Revolution Day (#frd2014), hooray!!

What's this? Well, simply, it's a way to engage with food in a public way. This can mean a bunch of things and can be achieved a kazillion ways, but in essence it's meant to bring attention to the fact that eating responsibly-grown and -raised foods is a) healthier, b) more beneficial to the local economy, and c) way better for the environment. All awesome things. It's also about learning how to cook from scratch, which tends to be a bit cheaper and healthier for all of us.

(Side note: Clearly, hittin' up McDonald's and calling it a day won't cut it. Sorry!)

Last year, I had high hopes of making an awesome meal, but the fact that Dave was out of town and I was feeling crappy took it down a peg. Luckily, I still found my own way to celebrate -- even if in a pretty private way.

This year, I'm hoping to celebrate a little more as a family since, well, Hadley eats regular food now and Dave should be home. So, while we may just do one or two of these things, it may help you get your mental juices flowing (ew) if you decide to take part, too. Here are a few ideas I've got for our family (there are a ton more to check out here, and I'm sure you could come up with a ton more far better than mine):

- Go out for a lovely dinner. I know what you're thinking: "Isn't this all about making your own food?" Yes, and I know what you mean. However, we have a handful of kick-arse locavore joints that we're dying to try out. It'd be nice to have a date night with the hubby and know that the food we're eating is Besides, we hardly ever get formal dates, so when we do we tend to try new places or old favorites (which, ahem, tend to be slightly more expensive places; we don't eat out much normally, so we put more value in what we're eating when it's locally-grown and well-prepared).

- Try something new. I'm thinking it'd be fun to trek out to the Cooperstown Farmers' Market, buy a new ingredient (plus any other "needs" we might have), then try a new recipe. My meals lately have been pretty one-note, so this might help kick-start me into getting back into the swing of preparing summer-type meals (which tend to be more creative...or to me, at least).

- Plant our garden. We've already drawn out (literally) a simple plan for our veggies (and one fruit), and one of my biggest issues is usually not planting early enough. Given that our frosts are gone for the season -- which they may NOT be, given our crazy weather patterns -- this would be the perfect weekend to buy our plants (I don't think I'm growing anything from seed this year; I'm taking the lazy mama's way out) and get 'em in the ground.

You may notice that these ideas are ones you really can't complete in one day...er, at least, not at our house! I tend to look at Food Revolution Day as more of a weekend celebration than a one-day thing, especially since it generally lands on a Friday (a work day). It's kind of like how some celebrate the whole weekend of Memorial Day, y'know?

So, you've got a little over a month. Are you planning on doing anything for FRD? (Or FRD weekend, as it were?) If so, what? I'd love to hear! 

No comments:

Post a Comment