Wednesday, December 12, 2012

I Shopped Walmart

I haven't set foot inside our local Walmart since my uber awesome sister-in-law helped me escape the doldrums of "life with a newborn" (back when he was nursing every 2 hours and I didn't have a pump). Although it was at WallyWorld, I welcomed (with massive amounts of anxiety thrown in) my first bit of time away from the little man. Let's consider that my annual trek.

Except, this holiday season I purchased Walmart goods. Sure, I didn't go TO Walmart, but I shopped their online wares, which in my mind is still patronizing the place. Needless to say, I'm simply not a fan of the place these days. Their unsavory business practices and maltreatment of workers leave a nasty taste in my mouth, and I'm not in the habit of tasting yuckiness.

Anyhoo, why did I "shop" through walmart.com? After lots of searching, I found that their clothes were the cheapest option I had. See, we're giving to a couple of kids off of our "giving tree" at school, and their wishes consisted of clothes. I went elsewhere for the (admittedly overboard) toys and activities that we gave. And since I'm sure you're wondering (or not, hee hee), there was a girl and a younger boy (not sure if they're in the same families or not) and I got everything for the girl, the clothes for the boy, and Dave picked out toys for the boy. She got a coat, boots, hat/mitten set, PJs, and since it said her interests were "jewelry" I got some costume jewelry and a set that she can use to make her own jewelry. The boy got snow pants, boots, hat/mitten set, PJs, some Batman/Joker toys, and a comic book. Oh, and they each got new crayons and a coloring book, and, of course, a container of Play-Doh -- because what parent doesn't want their kids grinding that into the carpet? Mwahaha.

Yeah, we overdid it. Not to say our son isn't making out well this year -- but he's not even one yet, so mass amounts of toys aren't necessary.

But, it made me think -- is it okay to go against one's principles when you're helping someone in need (buying cheap-o stuff, be it toy or foodstuff)? Or should those in need get items that are just as...um..."at a premium"?

We also gave two full-sized meals to needy families this year. I went to Aldi and grabbed two of everything (except the protein) -- 2 boxes of stuffing, 2 boxes of mashed potatoes (ick), 4 cans of veggies, 2 cans of fruit (in fruit juice!), 2 packages of gravy, 2 boxes of pudding and 2 graham cracker pie crusts (dessert!). Oh, and a couple of boxes of macaroni and cheese, considering not everyday is a holiday, and you still need to eat. Now, not that we're elitist, but we wouldn't eat any of this stuff if we were purchasing food for our house. If someone OFFERED us a meal of this, we wouldn't say anything and would eat it happily (but probably feel yucky later -- not figuratively, it's really true what they say about feeling better when you eat better quality food), but our daily choice veers in the all-natural/organic arena. It's just how we live.

I should probably feel happy that I was able to give at all, but it's hard not to feel a little guilty. Heck, even when my husband's work was sponsoring a "Stuff the Bus" campaign for toys, I stopped by with two toys -- from the cheap toy section at Kmart. Mind you, they seemed like wicked fun toys (and I would know!), but does it matter that they were $5 each?

So, what do you think? Is it better to give at all? Or does equality factor into the equation?

Side note: I found ORGANIC BUTTER at Aldi yesterday!! I nearly fell over!!! (And HAD to text a picture of it to the hubs. Confused onlookers be damned.) Last time, I found Kerrygold Irish cheese (grassfed, INCREDIBLE cheese!!!) and this time organic butter! I am growing more and more impressed by the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment