Sunday, December 2, 2012

From Super Slow to Friggin' Fast

*crickets chirp* It's been over a month. Sorry 'bout that!

Anyhoo, time to talk about my eating since Hadley came along (exactly what you've been waiting 41 days for, I know). No, not diet -- which is slightly limited but is pretty much an "I see, I eat" diet. That's nursing for you.

What I mean is the fact that I've done a 180. There are ongoing family jokes about my slow eating habits growing up (several involving my being the only one at the table still nibbling my sandwich, talking a mile a minute, while everyone else's Happy Ending sundaes are being devoured). Those habits followed me into adulthood. What can I say? Apparently, I talk. Who knew?

This is no longer the case. Well, I still talk, but my eating tendencies have flipped. In general, I'm starving most of the time (as I said above - thanks to BFing), so while at work I have to suck down my huge lunches at intervals throughout the day. When home, however, the baby seems to have a keen radar. The moment I sit down with my hot plate o' food, he starts fussing or decides he's hungry or whatever. Almost never fails.

This started on Day One in the hospital. I recall my first "meal" (all clear liquids or Jell-O or...wait, coffee?? That thing I didn't drink for 9 months and still don't to keep the caffeine out of the little buddy's system??), but folks were busy snapping pictures with our new lil' bundle of joy. I only remember one other hospital meal. All the others involved getting a few bites in while learning to nurse or visiting or trying not to murder some gosh-darn impolite nurses. Besides, it was mostly about drinking constantly - although I'll never forget the 2am feeding when a nurse kindly handed me a tumbler of ice water that inadvertently ended up all over the baby and myself. 

The thing I remember about the one hospital meal I ate, start to finish, (aside from the ever-present chocolate pudding) was creamed spinach. It. Was. Divine. Never had it before, and probably won't, but I was so literally starved by that point, the fact that the baby was getting checked over and I got to the food HOT, I found it to be the most delicious thing I'd ever eaten. I still find myself having cravings for it. Weird, I know.

I don't, however, want to forget to mention the first "real" meal I was allowed post-surgery - provided by my sister/best friend, Mary. She knew that I had craved a bologna sandwich (on soft white bread, with yellow mustard) during my entire pregnancy. The only cold-cuts I had were all-natural...needless to say, not bologna. She came with a huge bag, including several sandwiches, an entire bag of my other guilty pleasure (Jax...I know I've mentioned them here before, but they SERIOUSLY kick Cheez Doodles' arse) and soda, plus I'm sure some other goodies I have since forgotten. But, again, I was too busy to enjoy it all in one sitting. It seems life has followed suit ever since.

Take this post, for instance. I started it while eating my dinner and simultaneously nursing the monkey. It has been written entirely one-handed. But, as long as I can eat enough to sustain both baby and mama, I'm happy. And, if I can keep punching out s-l-o-w, one-handed posts more frequently, I'll be even happier. :-)


P.S. If you'd like a different perspective on our new little family, be sure to check out my hubby's posts on fatherhood at http://thedorkydaddy.wordpress.com. Currently, you can find out about a new little family member, Dougie, and how he came to join the clan. (No, he's not another cat.)

No comments:

Post a Comment