Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Time's A-Runnin' Out

My 30th birthday is coming up on the first of May. No, I'm not looking for presents (although, if anyone would like to shoot an iTunes or Lowe's gift card my way, I wouldn't object ;-D). I thought I'd check into my "30 Before 30" list to see how I've been doing. Come along, won't you?

1. Try a yoga class. Woohoo! This is the most successful (not to mention fulfilling; see why here) achievement off the list so far...although I skipped this past Friday, but sometimes time with a hubby needs to be a priority. Oh, and I'm thinking of adding a yoga DVD to one of my registries for some post-baby activity (I love that it's physical, mental, AND spiritual).
2. Start adding to savings. I've been adding a bit each month (sometimes $50, sometimes $200, but every little bit helps! Especially when I consider that I won't be working this summer), plus I have yet to utilize my overdraft in 2012. That, in itself, makes me feel better 'bout myself.
3. Organize the office. But it's STILL, admittedly, not done. D'oh. It looks lots better, though.
4. Go for a walk. FINALLY! After helping a bit at the theater last Saturday morning, I called the hubs to see if he'd like to take advantage of the gorgeous (albeit a tad windy!) day. It wasn't by any means a long walk, but we felt good about getting out and about. I'm hoping to become a "walker" when the baby comes. Oh, and of course Dave had to show me up by then going outside to do the first mowing and weed whacking of the year. Talk about a workout! 
5. Go antiquing. Yay! I did this, too!! A couple of weeks ago, Dave and I went for a cheap but delish breakfast at Ann St. Deli in Little Falls - which just HAPPENS to be quite close to our go-to antique center. We were able to get out without spending much - in fact, Dave bought a co-worker look-alike action figure, and I didn't get ANYTHING. I can't believe it. I'd like to have a SUCCESSFUL antiquing adventure, but it's good to just say that I crossed it off the list.
6. Get some more Etsy goodies posted. I'd be fine if this happened after my 30th. I'm hoping my nesting instinct helps me create too much nursery art; surplus = Etsy sale. ;-)
7. Organize the ol' blog. Some of this is done - have you noticed my "Archive" tab lately? I've got more to do, but it took a weekend just to organize those links...sooooo, let's call this baby DONE-ZO!
8. Get rid of 25% more of my wardrobe. Not sure if it's 25%, but lots is gone! I'm currently wearing maternity pants (or sweatpants when I know I'm not leaving the house - hello, spring break!), but still have some tops that are long enough to cover the bump. I'm in the midst of some spring cleaning, so I'll be organizing and purging a tad more. Isn't it weird that I still don't wear 100% of my clothing, even with the maternity clothes?? 
9. Organize/clean out my laptop (pictures & iTunes -- need room for the baby's music, after all). Eh, not s'much. Not yet. This is one of those "I can probably work on this during my ninth month of pregnancy" procrastinations.
10. Do some major curb appeal work (spray paint the shutters, kill the ivy , paint the side door, paint the "porch", hang the numbers, plant some pretties) Hmm. ALL this stuff probably won't be happening before May 1st, but we'll see if I can get some...or ANY of it accomplished. ;-)
11. Switch the living room from red accents to... As the Beatles would say, "It's getting better all the tiiiime." Just gotta work on ADDING some OTHER color. Boring right now.
12. At least organize the craziness that is The Basement Monster. This one's kind of reliant upon us finally picking out some cheap paint to do the walls. It's totally waiting on us. Sorry, Basement Monster!
13. Find someone to take the bed in order to change "guest room" into "nursery." As I said before, it sounds like we've achieved this! *crosses fingers* Now, to actually get the deed done!
14. Get a hairstyle. Hmm. Wonder if I want to go short or just medium-length layered. Idears?
15. Make some paper cranes (or other awesome origami art). I've got some ideas, but am currently working on a different mobile project...and I've found some art ideas to "recreate" - e.g. steal - to use in the nursery. I <3 Pinterest.
16. Do some painting...not in the home improvement way.
17. REDO. THE. BATHROOM. (And I MEAN it!) (I'm workin' on it!) And today is my continued spring cleaning endeavors, so hopefully I can work in there Thursday or Friday. It's tough to go gung-ho because I tend to overdo it, then need a break, lather - rinse - repeat.
18. Learn how to use a plain ol' digital camera in the best way possible.
19. Try to post more original pictures on the blog. Haven't been posting much, but I'd say I've had 50% more original pics. It's a work in progress. :-)
20. Gain weight, but not too much. (Seriously, I haven't gained a pound yet, even though my stomach's gotten a bit bigger. How is that possible?!) I'd say I've gained about 8 pounds so far. I'm definitely getting bigger, but not too big.
21. Make some DIY soap -- be it hand soap or laundry soap. I'm thinking of, in terms of simplicity, try to find a DIY diaper soap recipe that we can use; otherwise, I'll just try to keep it green (as we currently do). It's hard to find ingredients that are okay and don't cancel out the warranty on cloth dipes.
22. Go through all my dust-collecting books and donate/sell what I'll never read/didn't like.
23. Go some place new with the hubs. (Does a new restaurant, along with some great friends, count?)  
24. Plan a smaller, but manageable garden. Planting will have to occur well after May 1st. We also need to amend the soil in our two raised beds since they've become kitty potties for our beloved backyard cats. *sigh* 
25. Pick some baby names that we both can live with. (It'd be nice if we both LOVED them, but live with is the current goal.) Working on it...still!
26. Set up Amazon Affiliate. Dude. I'm just happy that we finally set up our two registries!
27. Take a road trip. I foresee this happening in the next month or so... (This got pushed back another month.)
28. Find enough room to actually be able to have every piece of my wardrobe put away simultaneously. Then follow through. We're definitely "getting there" on this one...
29. Reupholster the wine chair and slipcover/paint the ottoman. I may work on this one after May 1st - it relies a lot on a) my energy level and b) the weather outside.
30. Pick up the house once a week. I'd say this is a "work in progress", but between the spring cleaning I'm doing today and some organizational techniques I'm working on, I'm hoping this will get easier. Remember? All about "easy"? That being said, if it doesn't get done weekly, we won't cry over it...will we?

Twelve outta thirty...hmm, not even half. Admittedly, a handful of these won't get done - but I'm happy to let some slide over to an "ongoing project" status. But, seriously, doesn't a list make everything better? Even when everything doesn't get done (again, let's not cry over it, m'kay? Life's too short), being able to check stuff off is invigorating. Speaking of which, I'd better get back to my spring cleaning list!  

No comments:

Post a Comment