Thursday, August 27, 2015

Cleaning Your Washing Machine

Donna Reed, I am not.

Apparently.

I'm one of those "I'll do laundry today" people who starts a load, gets distracted by life, then gets back to it a couple of days later. Please tell me I'm not alone.

So, I assumed it was my own laziness that led to THE STANK. You know THE STANK. It's not necessarily a mold/mildew smell, but it's that scent that, should you happen to finish the load without rewashing (SUCH a waste of energy and water, my Lord) and actually wear the clothing, your nose is perma-wrinkled all day. It's a lingering smell that is downright distracting. THE STANK.

Then, I stumbled upon a little tip about washing one's washing machine, particularly if it's an HE. At first, I thought it was a total Danny Tanner move, like cleaning his rubber gloves or vacuuming the vacuum (which I've actually done...doesn't work great). But, then I thought to myself, "Huh. Maybe this would help with THE STANK." See, even after an overnight, THE STANK was seeping in quicker and quicker and getting to be a terrible nuisance.

So, I tried the tip and it worked. Here I am to pass along the wealth.

As with most of my natural cleaning favorites, this tip comes courtesy Clean Mama. Seriously, what doesn't she know how to clean? Her post has great advice depending on the type of washing machine you have, and suggests either chlorine-free bleach or white vinegar. I'm working with a HE top-loader and, of course, used white vinegar.


Yup. Just that easy. And it has worked phenomenally! No more wasting precious resources (water and, of course, the soap!) to re-wash stinky clothes. You can do this monthly or as needed.

Bam!



Oh, and stop by last week's post to weigh in about, well, this here blog. Please and thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment