Friday, June 5, 2015

First CSA - "Lovage" It

As a sick little boy slumbered for his nap upstairs, I anxiously awaited Dave with the arrival of our first CSA share. What would that little box contain? The farm had sent an email stating the bounty of seedlings they had recently planted, but given the recent cold snaps in the weather, I was doubtful we'd have much to show for it this first week.

Winston was immediately interested in the overflowing, larger-than-expected waxy box. Of course, it smelled like "outside"; his favorite smell. (He loves us when we spend the day outside doing yard work and gets upset when we shower. Strange to us, normal to him.)

The first time through this box was a little of an emotional rollercoaster for this pregnant lady. I noticed a few flower buds and grew excited, "Flowers?? Or, no...wait!" Yup, I knew what it was: chives. They were bundled with a small handful of an unfamiliar herb. It looked like parsley with huge leaves, but upon smelling I knew it couldn't be. Celery? What herb smells like celery?


Upon further inspection, we found lettuce of all sorts, which admittedly sank my heart a bit. This pregnancy, I have had zero appetite for salads (or much of anything that's super healthy, honestly), so I thought, "Dave'll be having lots and lots of salads...or I'd better find an awesome new dressing or vinaigrette recipe to make them palatable." Keeping positive, this is my plan.



Aside from the overabundance of salad greens, we got 5-6 potatoes, a bunch of radishes, some scallions, and some Swiss chard (another "never cooked with that" item). Overall, I'm super happy with the take, and was surprised at just how much we got, all things considered.

So, this week I'll be on the lookout for a recipe that the family will actually endure for Swiss chard and a dressing that will help ME endure all the salad in our futures (I had a warm bacon one years ago that I may need to revisit).

As far as the "mystery herb" is concerned, I've already done my research (Mother Earth News gave the best information). Raise your hand if you've ever heard of "lovage". Needless to say, I never had before. It was apparently a very popular herb, up there with parsley and dill, until just a few generations ago. Funny how an ingredient can be well-known for literally centuries only to lose popularity and become practically unknown in modernity. It definitely says something for the narrowing of our collective taste buds. Hmph.


So, anyway, the facts. Lovage has traditionally had both culinary and medicinal uses, dating back to...well, nobody knows where or when specifically it first originated, but it's said that the Romans first brought it to England, where it was grown at medieval monasteries. (It could very well have started its life in Asia, for all we know.) It was used to treat rheumatism, and was even brought by the American colonists to consume in tea form in order to ward off the inevitable aches and pains of the New World.

Smelling strongly of celery, it can actually be used any place that celery generally is. However, it is much stronger in flavor, so should be about halved. (Note to self.)

That said, we're keeping it, along with the chives and their pretty buds, in a bit of water until I can track down some more ingredients. If it's not too warm over the weekend, a chicken soup would take care of it nicely, as would stuffing (in June? Really, Dellecese?). The leaves also add a bit of celery flavor to salads, so I may have to remember to use them when we're making our inevitable salads feasts.

Grumble.

Any suggestions for making a food (salads, in general) that has seemed completely disgusting and inedible to a pregnant lady more appetizing? I've eaten maaaaaybe one a week. Tops. And it hasn't been fun. (My husband, who could absolutely live on them, looks at me strangely and, I'm guessing, doesn't get it.)

I'm thinking BLTs (I don't eat tomatoes, but I'm down with this...maybe with avocado, yay healthy fat!), using it as a lettuce wrap (Had may be down for this...not sure it'll help me at all), or just shoot the moon and do taco dip piled high with lettuce. Maybe. Any other ideas??

No comments:

Post a Comment