Monday, February 23, 2015

Today's Tip - Actively Fun

This is part of a new series that I'm calling "Today's Tip." I hope to share little tips and tricks (or "life hacks" as the kids these days are saying) to make your life just a wee bit simpler. The topics will range from parenting to cleaning to green living to just general time savers...and anything else that pops into my brain that might be helpful.
 
                                                    ************************************************

Hey, guys! Raise your hand if you're feeling a bit sluggish lately. I know I am! Thanks, Obama winter weather. It's to the point where we have so much snow piled up, it's not at a "let's have fun in it" stage. It's more at the "sink down, can't move" phase. It's fine, we'll deal.

But, I feel like the little guy needs to get some more physical activity. He's a bundle of energy, and between sleeping better and acting better, getting physical only helps him enjoy his fun little life. So, I recently decided to try some "let's get moving" games with him.


Here are a few things that I tried, which not only got me active as well, but made me realize that he's reached a new level of "little boy, not little toddler." His hand-eye coordination and ability to follow directions is way better than I expected! Call me proud (and a touch sad).

- Mama Says - H isn't quite ready for "Simon Says" since the "Simon didn't say" rule evades him. But, he had been having issues with following directions, so this is my far the best activity for a 2 1/2-year-old. Just say, "Mama says..." and fill in the rest with whatever you think your little one can do. Touch your head/nose/knees/toes; act like a monkey; stand on one foot (he couldn't do it for long, but boy was he proud that he could do it at all!); turn around three times; hop like a frog. This goes as long as your imagination can hold out.

- Let's Stretch! - You can start your "exercises" off or end them this way. There are lots of stretches that you can do, so keep them as simple as "touch your toes" or as complicated as downward dog. It's also a fun way to practice counting. "Bend over and touch your toes for five seconds, count with me - one, two, three, four, five!" Simple, fun...and totally made me realize how inflexible I'd gotten! 

- Dance With Me! - Dance party time! Turn on Pandora or your favorite workout mix and get a-movin'! You'll see your little one start on day one using one swaying dance motion, then building up an arsenal of hilarious self expression. Our guy has been saying "oh, yeaaaah! Oh, yeaaaah!" while he does some helicoptering arm motions lately. Very Kool-Aid Man. Very awesome.

- Tumble Together - One of my favorite memories as a kid was doing somersaults, rolls, leg lifts, and tumbles in our living room with my sister. Sure, it's not always safe, but when Mom gets into it with you, you'll at least have a spotter. Pile the pillows and jump or use the ottoman to roll on your stomach (used to do that at my grandparents' and adored it). Just get silly and remember: horse play isn't always a bad thing.


What indoor activities do you do to get the blood flowing and energy out? I'd love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment