Wednesday, October 29, 2014

4 Simple Fall Decor Ideas

I recently shared a teensy decor switcheroo to help autumn-ify the living room a bit. Since I finally had a nice day to take pictures, I thought I'd share a handful of the other super simple add-ins I used for this year's fall decorating.

I'm not a big "spiders and skeletons" person. I've seen some awesome spookifications going on in the blogosphere, but this year I'm keeping it simple, stupid. Er. You're not stupid. I'm keeping it stupid simple. Better? :-)

While giving you guys a quick tour of our living room/dining room (I pretty much decorated the entry way from the living room into the dining room, so it hits the main living areas), I'll give a few SUPER simple tips on bringing a little autumn inside.

This year, I took my hints from nature. The first way? Bringing in some nature, of course! See those twigs adorned with dried leaves? Free, from our backyard. Instant pops of rust, orange and yellow. You'll also notice gourds and mini pumpkins placed throughout, along with some individual leaves strewn strategically.  



(Pay no attention to the hideous rug.)



This pretty lady has hung in this spot for years. I just can't bring myself to switch her up. Her neutral colors and gorgeous frame, rocking sense of style, and clear adoration for books has made her a kindred spirit. So, she stays. Plus, she really fits any season or holiday, doesn't she? I say yes.

That said, a tip here is to use stuff you LOVE. What else do we love? Stacks of books and magazines. I also love sneaking in an old script. ;-) 



Going hand-in-hand with my girlfriend up there and bringing in some nature, I love using neutrals and various textures. Hence the super easy-to-make twine and linen bunting (seriously, F-R-E-E), small dollar store wreath on the window, bundle of sticks on the sidebar, and various rattan balls (I got them on clearance at Pier 1 awhile back, wish I remembered how much they were...maybe $2 each? And you know I'll use the crap out of them). And my favorite thing during fall is white pumpkins.

Plus, what's more fun than buntings? I think nothing. When I first hung them, Hadley assumed every day was now his birthday.

Oh, yeah. More nature. A huge vase filled with apples. Had to keep it simple since the little guy uses the dining room table for tons of pretend play. 





If you're having a hard time freshening up your surroundings (believe me, I'm with ya), try the new-ish chalkboard trend. Think it's too hard to find one? Too expensive? Nope. The one we have in the living room was Dave's as a kid (free) and this small one (that reminds me of an old school tablet, which I'm searching for while antiquing) was a dollar store find. Yup, it was a BUCK. Can you believe that?!

And don't worry about your artwork. You get graded on effort, not perfection. ;-) My favorite part of this trend is how interchangeable it is. Come Thanksgiving, this witch's hat will probably be a turkey or a Pilgrim's hat; come Christmas, who knows? Stocking? Elf? A snowflake? Endless options, really.




On a final irrelevant note, we may not have a black cat, but we've got a drama queen king gray one. He's pretty intense. Does that count?


It just occurred to me that all these tips could also be eco-decor tips, too. Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment