Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Quick Quiche

It was one of those nights. You know what I mean. Low (and I mean low) on groceries and in the middle of a hell of a week with more of it to come. Yeah, one of those.

The hubs was asking what he could do to help, so instead of saying "nothing" and running around like a bitter idiot trying not to stress him out, I asked him to head to the grocery store. By the time he got back, I hoped, I'd have dinner ready and the baby fed and bathed. And, dude, it totally happened like that. Score!

My directions for this recipe aren't very specific because, well, I was ALMOST out of milk (I would've used 1/4 - 1/2 cup more if I'd had it) and was winging it 100%. Oh, and we were so starved by the time we sat down to eat (after the baby was down, well into the new Office episode), I didn't take pictures. Let's pretend it looked something like this picture on the left, shall we?

Actually, it kinda sorta did (sans the pretty little parsley). I cooked mine for around 35 minutes (when the directions I was using as a guide suggested 45+), and it came out a tad darker than I'd have liked. I like my quiche softer, but it was still tasty enough to write about on the ol' blog! So, okay, here's the vague recipe:

(Relatively) Quick Quiche

Thaw your frozen pie crust for 10 minutes and turn the oven on to 400° (this was demanded by my pie crust's instructions; do what yours tells you and all will be fine). While this is pre-heating, mix together 4 (or 5) eggs with about 1 cup of milk (or half-and-half, or cream, it ain't no thang). To this mixture, sprinkle in a couple of dashes of paprika, nutmeg, and a grinding of pepper. Also grate yourself about one cup (more if you like) of sharp cheddar cheese; again, use whatever cheese you like, this is just what we had lying around. Prick the crust and bake it on a baking sheet (you'll see why) for 10 minutes.

Decide what else you'd like in your quiche. In my case, to make it faster, I had already thawed out some asparagus I froze back in the day (you can use broccoli, too...or get creative! Way faster and easier if it's already cooked, to an extent). If you want the taste of onion, you'll want to saute some, but I just chopped up a few scallions, instead.

When the crust is ready, layer in half of the cheese, then your green veggies and onion, then the rest of your cheese and pour your wet mixture on top. This was a vegetarian option, so if you want meat, feel free to use your fingers to pull apart a few slices of deli ham, or go nuts and cook off some bacon. Seriously, we didn't even notice the lack of meat, 'twas that yummy.

Bake the quiche (it's officially a quiche, yay!) on the baking sheet (it catches overspill in case the thing decides to vomit in your oven...and it may) for 35-45 minutes or until it reaches the consistency you prefer (no longer jiggly). Take it out of the oven and allow it to rest/set up for 30 minutes (ours appeared ready to eat once we took it out of the oven, though, so this IS actually kind of a quick meal...if you don't follow directions...wink, wink).

Eat as is or pair with a simple side salad. (And wine. I can't have wine, still. So, yeah. Drink wine...for me.) We had a couple humongous pieces, plus enough to gobble a quick bite down before heading to the theater for a show the next night -- two dinners in one? Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment