Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pop Tarts, You Say?

It's pretty clear that we still eat some processed foods. We're good, but we're not that good. I only wish I had the ability to eat nothing but fruits, vegetables, legumes, grains and the rare odd meat/fish. But, slowly and surely, we're making tiny strides everyday, and THAT, my friends, is where real change occurs. Cold turkey doesn't work for everyone, and definitely not me!

That being said, we're pretty specific about the processed foods that we do consume. We're avid non-GMOers, which has really reduced that spiraling, overwhelming feeling one gets while trying to make wise choices grocery shopping.

One of the brands that we're currently cool with is Nature's Path. They're organic, generally less expensive (their cereals are the same as, if not cheaper than, traditional brands), taste yummy, and are free of GMOs. See their pretty little "NON GMO Project Verified" logo up there next to the organic logo? That's my new best friend.

I've tried some really crappy organic Pop-Tart knock-offs before. They still had an artificial flavor that I couldn't wrap my head around.

THESE, however, are da bomb...and I don't use that term lightly. Actually, I never use that term. So, that's sayin' somethin'.

They still have upwards of 25 ingredients (I'd rather live by the 5 or less rule, but c'est la vie), but most of them are what you'd find in a pastry you'd make at home. Plus, knowing that if there's corn starch in it that it's non-GMO helps.

We got the unfrosted version (and apple because that's the hub's jam) and I've gotta say they are DELISH. It's like making a homemade turnover, but (dare I say?) better. If you have the chance, even if you don't eat organic, BUY THESE. They're a kazillion times better than Pop-Tarts, and if you must eat toaster pastries, these are the healthier option. (Not calling them a health food. Just healthier. Yes, I know there's a difference.)

So, that's my 2 cents. Oh, and of COURSE when discussing Pop-Tarts I can't help but direct the conversation to Paula Poundstone. You don't know to what I am referring? Ooooohhhhh, what you've been missing. (Just watch the first couple of minutes...unless you're that bored.)

1 comment:

  1. Those sound MUCH better than the other pop tarts!! I'll try them. I find organic normally to be pretty expensive but I guess it's worth it for our bodies. Love the video!

    ReplyDelete