Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Unplugged Update

We've been living on basic cable, down from the "But, Wait! There's MORE!" plan, since mid-May (You'll see I first wrote about it here, and first whined about it here). So, now that summer vacation, in a sense, has hit, I thought I'd give a more complete update.

This week marks my only true "vacation" from school, since I'm a glutton for punishment and have a sweet tooth for money-making, hence my signing up for another year of summer school. It's a half-day gig, so that's not too bad, but it definitely takes the "vacation" out of "summer vacation." Eh, it's a living, and I'm here to complain about not having TV, not about occupations.

Just kidding. I've actually adjusted (finally) to not having cable. This week, it's been a little weird because the daytime TV shows that I would watch have been usurped by Wimbledon. I may be a former tennis player from a past life (*cough*highschool*cough*) and enjoy playing when I can drag my oh-so-willing husband along, but watching it is another thing altogether. I can follow for a little while, thinking "Oh, that was some nice topspin" or "Ouch, killer lob", before I suddenly find myself awakening hours later with drool running down my cheek.

So, what have I done? Well, you're looking at it. Yeah, instead of being altogether productive (hey, the laundry's done...almost), I've blogged. I also fit in some reading and a viewing of the Winona Ryder version of "Little Women" (which happens numerous times a year, mind you), and am currently holding down the fort while our tree out front comes down. I've also been focusing on my current diet in hopes of squelching my bad moods and laziness.

As originally written, Dave has handled the transition to basic cable admirably, and almost sickeningly. Sometimes I handle change better than he does; other times, he's the one with the grace and flexibility. I caught up...eventually.

The facts that Monday nights is "Antiques Roadshow" night, Tuesday is "The Office" reruns night, Thursday is "NBC actually can do comedy" night, and that I've got a stack of books that I'm actually interested in reading this summer, all help. In general, I've made it through just fine...although none of those Internet-to-Wii-to-TV ideas ever panned out, which would make things all the more bearable.

It just goes to show you, though, what we can do without when we simply take the scary leap.

No comments:

Post a Comment